Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Saxophone.... hmm



Ben's co-worker ordered a cake for her father's 90th birthday. She asked for a saxophone cake. I wasn't sure at first how to make a sax. I figured I either needed to sculpt an actual sax or make a figure playing a sax. I was fairly comfortable with figures by now but knew I would have to stretch myself to sculpt and cover a sax. I decided to try out the sculpted sax. It was not as hard as I had imagined it to be but it did take a lot of time. I ended up making two sizes and having to cover the sax several times to get the color right for the gold. I had to adjust my design in the end a bit but I was happy with how it turned out in the end. I think I would rather not see peoples reactions who I hand the cakes over too. It makes me too nervous. She seemed to like it though.

3 comments:

  1. She did like it, alot. So did the rest of the family. My 90 year old father was very pleased. After all the pictures were taken we ate the cake which was very good. They took the Sax home with them. This isn't Travis, it's Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVED!!!! the cake and so did Daddy. It was too awesome. Thank you so much for being brave enough to do it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cakes are awesome!!! I particularly love this one cos its what I've been searching for. My boyfriend is a saxophonist and his birthday is coming up. I would really love to make a sax cake for him but have mo idea to go about it. I live in Africa, Cameroon and sometimes,yes its hard getting all the stuff needed for excellent results... I dunno but hoping u can help??

    ReplyDelete